VicRoads Rules and Regulations Regarding Rear Mounted Bike Carriers.
What is the law?
You can be fined if:
- the correct number plate is not attached on a bike rack and the vehicle number plate is obscured by the rack,
- the number plate is illegible,
- the bike rack number plate is not illuminated at night and clearly visible from 20 metres away. The Thule Lightboard is available from RCS.
A bicycle rack is usually fitted to the towbar or attached to the boot of your car.
- The sharp edges of the bike rack number plate can be covered by surrounding the bike rack number plate with a protective soft trim surround. These are available from VicRoads (a fee applies).
- Stoplights, tail lights and vehicle indicators must not be obscured by either the rack or the bicycle(s).
- Make sure that the rack and its attachment to the vehicle (usually the towbar) are strong enough to carry the bicycle(s). (Check with the towbar manufacturer).
- If the bike rack is fitted to the towbar, ensure the towbar is securely attached to the vehicle.
Do not overload the vehicle by carrying too many bicycles.